Thursday, August 10

Chocolate truffles


The remaining ganache which was standing in my fridge since I’d made chocolate-glazed gingerbread cakes (see previous post) I ended up using for some chocolate truffles. I know, not the most original post. But because they’re so delicious you’ll all forgive me, right?
Chocolate truffles are extremely rich and tasty, very easy to make and so much fun! You will feel like a real chocolatier; shaping and creating your own legendary bonbons, and everything, really I mean everything, including yourself, will be covered with chocolate and cocoa powder…indeed one messy process! (Or does this happen just with me?)
But I’m sure you’ll completely forget this when you’re finished and you’ll have a delightful homemade truffle in return… =)

I made 3 different ones; one with a regular cocoa coating, one covered with a mixture from ground cinnamon and sugar, (this one was my favourite!) and the last one with a layer of ground hazelnuts -
They turned out beautiful and, of course, very tasty… (They’re ganache truffles; who doesn’t like that??)

After a bit of sampling, and my mom had another few more... - She really, really liked them; she just couldn’t leave them alone! - which made me of course in return happy; it’s nice if what you’ve made is been appreciated so much…-
Well, I packed “the leftovers” in nice, pretty, gift bags and gave them out as little presents. They looked wonderful and I must say, very impressive

Chocolate truffles

- 1 recipe for Chocolate Ganache (see previous post chocolate-glazed gingerbread cakes)
- 100 g bittersweet chocolate, chopped for coating
- +/- 50 g unsweetened cocoa powder
- +/- 50 g of chopped nuts – I used hazelnuts but just use what you like; almonds, peanuts or walnuts for example…
- 25 g cinnamon powder mixed with 25 g icing sugar


1. If you haven’t have the ganache already; make the ganache and let it stand for at least 2 hours, until firm. (or chill, covered, until firm)

2. Scoop, with a spoon, the truffle mixture into little balls (about 2 cm) and roll each one in your hand palms until round. Place them on a plate and chill the truffles thoroughly - the warmth of your hands will make them melt a little!

3. melt the chocolate in a heatproof bowl over a pan of simmering water (stir once in a while) and spread the cocoa powder on one plate, the cinnamon/icing sugar on a second plate and the chopped nuts on a third one.

4. When the chocolate is melted, take it off heat and let it cool slightly. take the truffles out the fridge.

5. Dip one hand in the melted chocolate. Pick up a truffle with your clean hand and place it in your hand covered in chocolate. Smear the truffle all with chocolate and then roll it through one of the coatings. Place on a plate and repeat this process for all the truffles. You’re done!

6. Truffles can be served immediately or can be refrigerated for up to 10 days.

No comments: